Thursday, October 4, 2012

La Comprehensión

I feel in just the short time I've been here so far, my comprehension has vastly improved. While I still need to be focused to really follow along (unlike when listening in English, where I can multitask without a problem), I'm catching smaller details, humorous references, and exchanges between other members of my family. Not everything, certainly, but more and more. Very satisfying.

However, there is still a phenomenal amount of vocabulary to learn. It's amazing to realize how many words I know in English, and how many I don't know in Spanish! Random words like "drawer" or "comforter" aren't difficult, but they're just a big more specific than you learn in the "home" unit in a Spanish class. Also, I've studied the language for a long time (off and on) and I think in the back of my head, I'd assumed most nouns ended in either an o or and a, which is generally indicative of the gender... That is not true! There are so many nouns ending in a consonant, giving me absolutely no clue as to the gender of the word! And then there are the irregular words, like "el agua" or "el mapa" (luckily I know those two, since I use them all the time)... when I use them, I always second guess myself and I bet I'm wrong more than I'm right!

A series of small, unrelated pieces of news:

My host parents left yesterday to go to Berlin for a short vacation, so my host grandma is here to take care of the girls (along with her, for lack of a better word, maid-assistent-friend, although since Pili has been working for the family for 43 years, I think it's more accurate to say she's part of the family!). I'm not used to their accents and the speed with which they talk so they're harder to understand, but it's good practice. I've also had  more homework this week so that's kept me busy.

I successfully obtained a library card for the public library here! I checked out Artemis Fowl in Spanish... I read it a month ago or so and I have a free English digital copy too (thank you Starbucks!) so I'm hoping I'll enjoy reading and learn at the same time.

I'm positive my straightener does not work here. I'm rather displeased and strongly considering buying one here and just leaving it for my host sisters since they used to have one and it broke.

I went to one of the gyms here (think YMCA-type facility) to investigate rockclimbing there, but unfortunately you have to have some sort of insurance or membership with a national sports organization.... My host sisters have this for golf, and it's around 80 euros per year, so unless I can that prorated, I won't be climbing here :/

Lastly, a photo (oops... almost spelled that with an "f"... we've all notices that we're starting to struggle with English!) of the view from the kitchen window at sunset over the rooftops of Leon!





No comments:

Post a Comment