Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Frisbee?

There are a couple things I miss a lot and of course that's near the top of the list! There's a great website for frisbee around the world, including all Spanish events, so I sent some emails today to a few different teams and I'm hoping to go play in a one-day tournament during the weekend I go to Barcelona. Theoretically, it's even a beach tournament, so the fact that I don't have cleats doesn't matter!

This morning, we had a tour of the Plaza Conde Luna, where our school is. It's one of the oldest parts of the town, and this is from the church, which is the oldest in town. I don't remember the year it was built, but I made a mental note that it is 1000 years old! (Obviously the wood has been restored since though!) 


We went through the museum pretty quickly, so I want to go back and take a closer look at a few things, because I'd have a better chance of remembering some of the dates and names if I read them rather than just heard them. I also spent part of the tour wondering about building codes, because some of the walls in our school/the museum are part of the original Roman wall. We don't have the need for anything like that in the US (although there are still very old buildings that are in use today...?) but there must be some regulations to meet and calculations to do. This question was, unfortunately, beyond my Spanish capabilities and beyond the tour guide's area of expertise, but he did assure me the building was strong and wouldn't collapse. You should probably expect more engineering musings since I don't have anyone to discuss them with here... You'd love this program though, Karstin. Guess why. Also guess why Eric wouldn't... and Joseph, I don't know... There isn't much pink hair here!

We had our first film (and it's relation to literature) class today. You may know that I know nothing about pop culture in the US, and I know even less about foreign films... This could be interesting. I've never analyzed film as a form of expression or art before, especially when I understand only 50% at best of what is said (movies are way harder to understand than most people)... I told my host family I was taking a film class and they were all appalled since they like American films way more. We'll see!

2 comments:

  1. Film classes of foreign films can sometimes be a lot easier BECAUSE you don't know the language as well as English so you can spend more time on the scenery and way the shots are taken. It's hard, but I wouldn't trade the film class I took in college for anything

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it! What kind of film class did you take?

    ReplyDelete