Pretty quite day here... We had our first Spanish 302 class, which is sort of grammar and composition. If we don't have to write a ton, I think it will be my favorite class because I like grammar, and our text (a giant spiral bound set of handouts) is intended for students, whereas some of our other texts are actual poems/stories or real movies. All the teachers are smart and excited about their subjects though, which I like. In the lit/poetry class, we learned about rhythm and structure, primarily by counting the number of syllables that each line had, which a couple extra rules... a word ending in a vowel and then next word starting in a vowel counts as one syllable, and depending on where the accent in the last word is, the number of syllables can change (being done with a spanish linguistics class probably doesn't hurt my understanding). This took me right back to 10th grade English when we were tested on knowing where the stress in a word was. I loved this because it was probably the easiest thing I've ever been tested on, but it seems that even now, not everybody finds it as simple.
I discovered the nearby market that happens on Wednesdays and Saturdays, which had street vendors selling knockoff purses and scarves and such, and also farmers from the surrounding area selling their produce. I look forward to going back when I have a little more time. I also went in two stores which are H&M ish to look at their warm clothing, because I need to acquire more if it, but I'd rather pay a little more for another real outdoorsy jacket that I'll still wear when I get home. I caught myself considering some of the polyester puffy coats with belts which are reasonably fashionable here (or at least will be when it gets cold according to their standards) but then I realized that's not an item I would ever use at home! I also plan to buy a few thick sweaters because I realized that even though I brought 6 or so long sleeve shirts, they're not actually warm!
I went running with three other girls and we went further than last time, and it conveniently got warm-ish around then, which was a nice change! I am really enjoying running in a group, and also loved exploring the outskirts of town to get my bearings. We came back into town on the other side and ran a little bit of the way, but then walked the rest because no one runs in the streets. Unfortunate, because that would be a fantastic way to get to know the city... Also, everything is completely flat here, which I love :)
I discovered the nearby market that happens on Wednesdays and Saturdays, which had street vendors selling knockoff purses and scarves and such, and also farmers from the surrounding area selling their produce. I look forward to going back when I have a little more time. I also went in two stores which are H&M ish to look at their warm clothing, because I need to acquire more if it, but I'd rather pay a little more for another real outdoorsy jacket that I'll still wear when I get home. I caught myself considering some of the polyester puffy coats with belts which are reasonably fashionable here (or at least will be when it gets cold according to their standards) but then I realized that's not an item I would ever use at home! I also plan to buy a few thick sweaters because I realized that even though I brought 6 or so long sleeve shirts, they're not actually warm!
I went running with three other girls and we went further than last time, and it conveniently got warm-ish around then, which was a nice change! I am really enjoying running in a group, and also loved exploring the outskirts of town to get my bearings. We came back into town on the other side and ran a little bit of the way, but then walked the rest because no one runs in the streets. Unfortunate, because that would be a fantastic way to get to know the city... Also, everything is completely flat here, which I love :)
No comments:
Post a Comment